This Focaccia Bread recipe is easy and delicious. Feel free to change up the toppings to customize and make it your own.
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 Garlic clove diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 dash of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of warm water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary
- 1 tomato sliced thinly
Create a proof
- Mix the yeast, water, sugar, and ¼ cup of flour in a small glass bowl. Let proof for 10 minutes until bubbles begin to form.
- In a large bowl, stir together the remaining flour, ½ of the diced garlic clove, oregano, thyme, basil, and black pepper.
- Add the yeast mixture and olive oil and mix with a spoon until dough forms.
- Form a ball with the dough and knead on smooth surface until ingredients mix evenly though out dough. Dough should be smooth and elastic at this point.
- Grease glass bowl with olive oil and place dough ball in it, coating every side with oil.
Proof Inside oven
- Cover with a damp cloth place in top rack of oven to proof.
- Place 3 cups of boiling water in large glass casserole dish on bottom rack of oven, so that the steam rises.
- Close the oven door and let the dough rise for 1 hour.
- Remove dough, and preheat oven to 425 degrees celsius.
- Punch dough down spreading it over a greased baking sheet.
- Use your fingers to make indentations in the dough about 1/2 – inch apart.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add your chosen ingredients. Add sliced tomato, sprinkled rosemary, grated cheese, and sea salt.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.